What to do when a mobile device or an official laptop is lost or stolen?Last Updated: December 09, 2019
When a work related mobile device or laptop is lost or stolen, undertake the following action(s) immediately:
- FOLLOW ESTABLISHED SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, ESPECIALLY IN SITUATIONS SUCH AS ARMED ROBBERY.
- REPORTING THE INCIDENT IS ESSENTIAL AND TIME-SENSITIVE. TAKE ACTION QUICKLY IF NOT IMMEDIATELY.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from any other device available. If you unable to send an email, call your supervisors or colleagues and ask them to report it to Maavi Support.
- Report the loss to personnel listed below, using an email or the incident management system / application used by your Company to report such incidents. The report may need to go to everyone listed here or to only some among them or to others (depending on your situation):
- Your Manager
- Internal IT support
- Your Team
- This has to be done as soon as possible (perhaps within the hour), if not immediately and the sooner the better. Quick reporting of the incident assists the Support Team to:
- Deactivate all your work accounts which are active on that device before it gets compromised
- Trace the device before it goes offline/ Off the network
- Initiate a remote wipe in case of the device contains confidential information and is configured for encryption / or set up to follow a special Mobile Device Management (MDM) protocol.